What inspired you to launch Shredly?

I searched for two summers for new riding shorts and didn’t find anything I liked….and I can justify buying almost anything! I was having so much fun getting into a new bike and discovering new trials but didn’t feel like I could find any clothing that was just as much fun. It felt like something was missing from my riding adventures to put on the same boring clothes time and time again. Now I get excited not only to ride but when deciding which pair of SHREDLYs to wear…the adventure starts the moment I get dressed!

How did you come up with the name?

My girlfriend actually came up with it. It was originally SHREDLY…For Girly Chicks Who Ride. But for obvious reasons we dropped the tagline and kept the name. And, no, it’s not just for girly chicks but we certainly took the ‘ly’ from girly to make ‘shred’ a word used primarily by skateboarders or insane guitarists to make it something of our own.

What keeps you sane, and keeps your head in the game?

Being outside. It’s so easy to get stuck behind the computer 24 hours a day and skip out on personal time, overwhelmed by endless tasks and daily challenges. But making a point to get out and ride, hike, run or even just relax in the sun makes me happy I do what I do because it reminds me of the things that I love and appreciate. There is something so refreshing about nature that you just can’t get from anything else.

And of course the best dose of sanity is to get a nice email from a customer who is bubbling with excitement over her new shorts and appreciates the quality or the detail. It amazes me how many people are thoughtful enough to take the time to share how much they love their SHREDLY and I try to tell all of them that sharing makes it all worth it!

What is the most exciting ride you’ve been on in your Shredly shorts?

The Whole Enchilada in Moab really is the whole enchilada. I find myself giggling from both fear and pure enjoyment every time! I can’t get enough.

Best advice for women starting a business?

My best advise for anyone starting a business would be to take it one step at a time or the big picture might seem unattainable. Accomplish one task a day while you are first starting and then all of the sudden you will have started and not even realized it. Take advantage of what you don’t know you don’t know. If I knew what I know now before I started SHREDLY, I probably wouldn’t have started it. Be smart to begin with but believe in the power of ambition and dedication more than anything else.

Comments

comments